Knowing how to clean tempered glass the right way may not always be, pardon the pun, clear-cut. Most people may think that the job can be done with a basic cleaner and cloth but that’s not entirely true.
Here at Honest Home Talks, we take tempered glass cleaning seriously, which is why we’ve done the research and compiled a guide just for you. Read on further to find out what tempered glass is and how to clean it.
What is tempered glass?
It is a type of translucent material that is designed to be tougher than normal glass, more specifically four times tougher. Tempered silica material gets its strength from being put through a controlled thermal or chemical treatment.
If broken, the reinforced version will fracture into small, granular chunks instead of jagged shards common with regular types. This is why the material is commonly used as an added safety feature for doors, tv stands, shower partitions, PCs and even iPhones.
Francois Barthelemy Alfred Royer de la Bastie was the first to discover that quenching near-to-molten glass in a heated oil bath will reinforce its strength. Because of that, this material is sometimes called Bastie glass after its inventor.
This method was then improved upon in 1877 when Friedrich Siemens found that pressing the material into cold moulds made it even stronger. Fast forward to today where Bastie glass is a useful addition to everyday household items.
One of the common mistakes in not knowing how to clean tempered glass is by using the incorrect cleaning solution. Steer clear from abrasive cleaners like vinegar or scouring pads as they will damage its surface.
Another typical mistake is using the wrong type of cloth. Regular cloth tend to leave fibres all over the surface therefore, it’s better to opt for microfiber cloths.
In addition, leaving the soap solution on the material for too long is another common mistake of how to clean tempered glass. This will allow the solution to dry, leaving soapy deposits or streaks across the surface. Once sprayed on its surface, let it sit for no more than a few minutes before wiping.
Avoid hard scraping when cleaning your tempered glass to get out stubborn stains as this can scratch the surface. This is also because this material tends to scratch easier compared to regular.
Many people think the linear motion of wiping is what causes streaking on the surfaces. However, that is incorrect. The residue of moisture on the material is what causes streaks to appear when you clean. Hence, if you follow the tips above, then you would be good to go!
How to clean specific objects
As Bastie glass is a ubiquitous material for many of our household items nowadays, it is helpful to know how to clean tempered glass for specific objects. The following are detailed guides on how to cleanse household devices and furniture to perfection.
Tempered glass tv stands look sleek and modern until you see dust building on its surface or smudged fingerprints. This can happen pretty often, so you need to know how to clean tempered glass tv stand and do it frequently.
Here’s a simple step by step process on how to wipe your TV stands spotless:
- Remove the TV and any other electronics that could be damaged if exposed to moisture.
- Spray a Bastie glass cleaner or dish soap on the surface and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Use a lint-free or microfiber cloth to wipe down the stand.
Tempered glass doors usually divide the outside and inside of the house, allowing for natural light to spill in. As a result of this, it’s usually advised to avoid cleaning them on a hot and sunny day. This is because the cleaning agent will dry up quicker, leaving unsightly streaks across the surface.
Follow these steps on how to clean tempered glass doors without streaks:
- Many tempered doors’ surfaces are coated or tinted, so be sure to use a gentle cleaning detergent.
- Spray the cleaner on the surface of the door and wipe it using a soft sponge.
- You can use a squeegee for a clean finish. Be sure to test it out first over a small area of the surface to see if it is scratching the surface.
Cleaning your tempered glass PC will require extra care as just one wrong move could mean a permanently damaged computer system.
However, it is necessary to ensure that your PC is performing at its optimum level. Leaving your PC to gather dust particles can clog up your system’s cooling fan, increasing the temperature within and causing irreparable damage.
Below is how to clean tempered glass inside your PC:
- Disassemble your PC as much as possible.
- Clean all the different components using a soft sponge and Bastie glass cleaner, such as Windex.
- Gently wipe down the screen of your PC using a microfiber cloth and cleaning detergent.
- Finally, repeat no. 3 on the exterior surfaces of your PC.
If you’ve got butterfingers, you’ve probably opted for a tempered glass screen protector for your iPhone or Android smartphone.
These screen protectors usually contain an oleophobic coating on the screen, which makes them oil resistant. As a result of this, you’ll need to stay clear of harsh cleaning liquids like Windex, Lysol or vinegar as they will break down this oleophobic coating.
Here’s how to clean the tempered glass screen protector of your iPhone:
- Make sure your iPhone or Android smartphone is turned off.
- Using a microfiber cloth lightly dampened with water, wipe the screen in straight, short motions.
- For stubborn marks, mix equal parts of dish soap and water. Carefully apply the mixture on the screen, leaving it on for 15 seconds before wiping off.
- Make sure the moisture does not get into the headphone jack or any other point of entry.
Tempered shower doors are constantly the victim of hard water stains and soap scum buildup. It is because of this that they will need regular cleaning to stay in pristine condition.
Follow these simple steps on how to clean tempered glass shower door without streaks:
- Mix equal parts of dish soap and water.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and spray on the shower door. Allow it to sit for a few minutes.
- Then, use a microfiber cloth to work the mixture in to get out stubborn stains.
How To Clean Tempered Glass
- Dish soap
- Microfibre cloth
- Wipe down with a dry microfiber cloth.
- For more stubborn stains, mix equal parts of dish soap and water.
- Lightly dampen the microfiber cloth with the mixture and wipe it on the surface.
Did you find this guide on how to clean tempered glass useful? Is there any other cleaning tips that you would like to know about? Let us know by sending us an email at email@example.com.