Knowing how to clean polyester couch will help melt your worries about cleaning those greasy stains, dust, and debris from your sofa. But you’re not sure where to start? Don’t worry! Here are some easy and quick hacks on how to take care of your sofa effectively.
Polyester is a manufactured fabric that is quite popular for its aesthetic qualities and comfortable features. This fabric is one of the most popular textiles used for creating many types of consumer and industrial applications.
Polyester sofas are in demand for their appearance, durability, and resistance to mould and abrasion. They can get dirty and stained over time; that is why you need to know how to clean your polyester couch to keep them fresh and new. To maintain cleanliness, you need to follow these simple tips and step-to-step guides.
- What is Polyester?
- Why should you clean a polyester couch?
- How easy is it to clean polyester couch?
- How often should you clean your polyester couch?
- Equipment and Detergent
- How to clean a polyester couch?
- Common Mistakes to Avoid
- Hacks and Tips to Clean Polyester Furniture
- How to Clean Polyester Couch
What is Polyester?
Polyester is known as synthetic or man-made polymer, a generalized term for any fabric or textile. It is commonly referred to as a type of polyethene terephthalate (PET) made from combining ethylene glycol and terephthalic acid.
This material is created from a scientific process named polymerization that creates a reaction between an acid and alcohol. It makes the melted plastic spin-out from the machine and turns it into polymer fibres. The steps on how to clean a polyester couch will differ based on variants of these polymer fibres.
While some of the polyesters are biodegradable, most of them are not. Moreover, its production can contribute to pollution all over the world. Some of the common advantages and disadvantages of this material are as follows.
- Polyester fibres can be produced in mass quantities, which cost less than wool or cotton.
- It is long, lightweight, and has stable polymers that make this fabric durable and resilient.
- It can hold its structure well and doesn't get stretched out easily.
- The synthetic fibres can resist natural mould and mildew buildup making the process of how to clean polyester couches easier.
- It has light, heat, water, and chemical resistance, which effectively protects the longevity of the material.
- Polyester production can increase pollution as its production process requires lots of energy.
- The lack of breathability of this material can hold odours, stains, and grease, which will be tricky to remove.
Why should you clean a polyester couch?
Every type of fabric has to face dullness over time. If we take care of these sofas, then they will not lose better looks, durability and increase longevity.
If you maintain regular cleanliness by following our guide on how to clean a polyester couch, they will stay fresh. Or else they will get dull and unsightly over time, and you might have to change the sofa entirely. Also, cleaning can eliminate bad odours and harmful bacteria attacks on your sofa.
How easy is it to clean polyester couch?
Cleaning a polymer sofa is a simple task to do. A vacuum cleaner and a pristine damp rag can remove dirt and debris, which usually gets stuck on the furniture’s material.
You can use commercial cleaners or household products like baking soda, detergent, vinegar, and water to cleanse polyester upholstery and remove its bad odours. This furniture requires low maintenance, and it is easy to cleanse.
How often should you clean your polyester couch?
Cleaning your sofa often will increase its longevity and durability. We recommend dusting every day and cleaning the sofa thoroughly every 6 to 12 months. Regular dusting is needed if you have pets and kids in your home so follow the below steps on how to clean a polyester couch.
Equipment and Detergent
For cleaning the surface of your sofa, you can use a combination of the following tools for wiping it pristine.
- Vacuum or foxtail brush
- Commercial cleanser
- Clean cloth
- Soft brush
For making and using a homemade cleaning liquid, you would need the following;
- Spray bottle
How to clean a polyester couch?
Generally, the cleaning process starts with clearing off any debris from the surface. Then, we focus on removing any surface stains or spots by using a cleanser. After, we use a brush to fluff up the sofa as the effect of cleaners may harden the texture of the sofa.
How to remove stains off polyester couch?
You can use shampoo to remove the stains. Also, you can apply baking soda and rinse it with a dampened sponge.
How to clean urine from polyester couch?
If the urine is fresh, you need to blot the stain with a microfiber cloth or paper towel. Sprinkle some baking soda and apply white vinegar over the stained area. Leave the area for a few minutes to dry, then hoover the dried-out soda.
How to clean 100% polyester couch?
Use a brush or vacuum cleaner to clean the dust and debris. Remove odours with baking soda and see the full cleansing steps below.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
- Make sure to use gentle patting motion and don’t press too hard or rub the stain as you may sink them into the padding.
- Never apply cleaner before testing it, as some sofa material will not work for certain cleaners. Test before you apply any commercial or homemade cleaners.
- Always check the cleaning code on your sofa before you start ‘how to clean polyester couch’ method below.
- Always do the test cleaning elsewhere to avoid any irreversible issues.
Hacks and Tips to Clean Polyester Furniture
- Use a foxtail brush to sweep out dirt and debris if you do not have a vacuum cleaner.
- Warm water can take out greasy stains, and cold water can remove normal stains.
- You can apply lemon juice to remove the bad odour from the sofa.
- Check out the sofa tag where there is a cleaning code written on it. The following code will be W, S, SW, or X. Check the code to determine what particular cleaning method your couch needs.
- ‘W’ means that your sofa requires only water cleaning.
- ‘S’ means that solvent cleaning is suggested.
- ‘SW’ means that you can use water and solvent cleaning.
- ‘X’ means that this sofa requires only professional cleaning.
How to Clean Polyester Couch
- Clean cloth
- Soft brush
- Spray bottle
- First, cleanse the surface with a vacuum cleaner to clean all the dust, crumbs, or debris that is stuck in the sofa’s nooks and crannies.
- Use a cleanser according to the couch types or use a homemade cleanser. Pour it in a spray bottle and spritz it down to the stained and spoiled areas.
- Once you have applied the cleaner, use a clean cloth to rub the stains until they come out gently.
- Cleaners can make the sofa material stiff, so take a soft brush and rub it against the polyester fabric. In that way, you can make your sofa fluffy and soft again.
Next, learn everything you need to know about how to effectively cleanse walls with flat paint without removing the paint!